Today is my boyfriend’s birthday. He loves Italian food (well, to be perfectly honest he just loves food). So for his birthday, I wanted to make him tiramisu for dessert. However, he has a serious dairy allergy, so I had to get creative!
Sainsbury’s sponge fingers are dairy-free (unlike those in most other supermarkets) and I found coconut milk cream cheese and soya cream in Waitrose. He can’t have things that “may contain milk”, so I need to be extra careful.
- Rectangular Dish
- Shallow Bowl
- 170 g Vegan Cream Cheese
- 60 g Caster Sugar
- 100 ml Soya Cream
- 1 Pack Sponge Fingers
- 1 Cup Strong Coffee cooled
- Mini Bottle Cognac
- 1 Pack Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate or Cocoa Powder
- Whip the cream cheese, sugar and soya cream together.
- Add a splash of cognac and mix well.
- In a shallow bowl, pour some strong coffee and add a splash of cognac. Dip a sponge finger in this mixture then put the slightly soggy sponge finger into a Pyrex dish.
- Repeat this until the base of the dish is covered in a layer of sponge fingers (you may need to top up your coffee/cognac mix).
- Spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the sponge finger layer.
- Make another layer of soaked sponge fingers and top with the other half of the cream mixture.
- Grate over a generous layer of chocolate.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
The tiramisu was a huge hit! I wonder what I’ll make for him next year?