To continue the birthday theme, I also made coffee cupcakes with coffee buttercream icing. I also wanted to make this dairy-free, but this proved to be more challenging because Pure Margerine is quite watery and so I had to adapt the recipe to make a good consistency buttercream. The boyfriend offered to pipe the icing on and added an extra swirl of coffee.
I think they look quite good!
Dairy-Free Coffee Cupcakes
- cupcake tin
- cupcake cases
- (optional) piping bag and nozzle
- 165 g Pure Margarine
- 165 g Soft Brown Sugar
- 150 g Self Raising Flour
- 3 medium Eggs
- 1 ½ tsp Oat Milk or another dairy-free milk
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tbsp Instant Coffee Granules
- 400 g Icing Sugar
- 100 g Pure Margarine
- 3 tbsp Instant Coffee Granules
- 1 ½ tbsp Boiling Water
- Preheat the oven to 160°c (140°c fan oven)
- Use a pestle and mortar (or rolling pin) to grind the coffee granules to a reasonably fine powder. Put to one side.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add ⅓ of the egg and a spoon of flour and mix in. Continue adding the egg and flour until it is all mixed in.
- Add the remaining cupcake ingredients (coffee powder, salt and milk) and mix in.
- Place cupcake cases into a cupcake tin. Then spoon the mixture into the cases, the cases should be ⅔ full.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins. Check the cakes are cooked through with a cake tester (or cocktail stick).
- Place the cakes on a rack to cool down. Do not ice the cakes when warm! The icing will melt.
- Mix the coffee granules and boiling water together to make a very thick coffee paste, it will be quite sticky! Leave to cool.
- Beat the icing sugar and margarine together until well mixed and fluffy.
- Add the cooled coffee paste and mix in well.
- You should have quite a firm buttercream, if not then mix in some more icing sugar.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes (make sure they are cool). If you want a coffee swirl then add a stripe of the coffee paste into the piping bag before you add the buttercream.
These cupcakes have a lovely strong coffee taste!